Tuesday 5 April 2011

Resolved: Quality Center 11 Installation Issue "Failed to validate database parameters"

I've been having issues trying to get Quality Center 11 installed, I kept getting the "Failed to validate database parameters" error message on the database server screen.

The server setup was as follows:

Windows Server 2003
SQL Server 2005 Express

There were a couple of things I had to do:

  1. Under the SQL Server Configuration Manager, ensure that the SQL Server Browser Service is Running (I had to enable this service as it was not on by default).
  2. The DB Host name should include the server name followed by \sqlexpress. So on my box it was set to: win2003\sqlexpress. Note: I have tried this on Windows Server 2008 and I did not need to provide \sqlexpress (although you do need to enable mixed authentication mode)
  3. Use MS-SQL Authentication - use the sa account details for the db admin and username details (you should check that you know these details first)
 Hopefully that should get you past the database page - it took me hours to get around all of this!

4 comments:

juliandavid333 said...

Hi I have checked all these details, but I still reported the same errors

I'm working with windows server 2003 enterprise

sql 2005 standard edition spk 2

I run another operation to correct this error

David Hartley said...

Hi Julian

Can you remember what you had to do? It might be useful for someone else if they have the same problems?

Easy to learn Automation(QTP) said...

Hi Guys,


I am installing ALM 12.55 on Windows 7 , MSSQL2014.. I am getting "Failed to validate database connection parameters" Error after entering DB host name and DB Username and Password by selecting MSSQL(SQL Auth) as Database...

Could you please help on this..

Thanx in advance ...

Unknown said...

One more step to add, in Sql server configuration manager > SQL server Network Configuration > protocols for SQLEXPRESS, make sure the TCP/IP is enbled